Cox & Kings is the longest established travel company in the world. Its distinguished history began in 1758 when it was appointed as general agents to the regiment of Foot Guards in India under the command of Lord Ligonier.
Their worldwide offices are located in UK, USA, Japan, Russia, Singapore and Dubai. It has associate offices in Germany, Italy, Spain, South Africa, Sweden and Australia.
Cox and Kings were looking to migrate their marketing applications to the cloud in order to leverage benefits like agility for their initiatives and gain a competitive edge.
They were looking to deploy three of their marketing applications onto AWS. Out of the three marketing applications viz. CNK Word press Blog, CNK Mobile gaming application and new Video Contest application, Word press Blog and CNK Gaming application were existing on-premise, whereas, Video Content Application was developed to be hosted on to AWS. CNK wanted to have a highly available and scalable architecture for these applications.
BlazeClan team of certified SAs conducted an exhaustive study of the system and charted out a roadmap for deploying their 3 marketing applications on to AWS.
The team identified AWS service configurations, assessed the cloud readiness of these applications and made the appropriate changes to make them cloud ready. managed AWS implementation along with the customer. The SAs proposed a phased approach for implementing all the three applications:
- Phase 1: In the first phase, staging environment was set up for CNK Gaming Application and CNK Video Content Application. This included setting up AWS infrastructure, implement network configurations, setting up backup support and migration of data from on-premise to AWS.
- Phase 2: in the second phase, production environment was implemented.
- For the word press Blog, since a single server was to be implemented, this was carried out in the first phase itself.
- Improved Performance: The entire system was deployed in Auto scaling mode and hence CNK would be able to scale during peak time using the auto-scaling functionality of AWS.
- Cost Savings: this engagement brought about massive cost savings as payments needed to be made only for actual usage.
- Agility: migrating to the cloud helped Cox and kings to gain the agility to their business.
BlazeClan availed a number of AWS services to execute this project successfully.
- Amazon EC2 was used for compute capacity management for their application deployment. It helped in reducing the time required to spin up new server instances to minutes, allowing them to quickly scale capacity, both up and down, as per their requirement.
- Amazon S3 was used to store and retrieve any amount of data from anywhere and everywhere.
- Amazon VPC helped in setting up the private network with AWS as it provided isolation and security.
- AWS CloudFormation was used in the production/development/UAT environments for mirroring purposes for automated deployments.
- Amazon Machine Image was used to spin new instances for creating infrastructure