Fraser & Neave Holdings Bhd (F&NHB) is a Malaysian company listed on Bursa Malaysia’s Main Board with expertise and prominent standing in the food and beverage business. F&NHB is amongst the region’s and Malaysia’s oldest companies and its brand enjoys the rare distinction of being a market leader and household name in many categories. F&NHB operates in Malaysia, Brunei, Thailand and Indochina, and is a subsidiary of Fraser and Neave, Limited, a company listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange. A well-loved brand in Malaysia, today, F&NHB has spread its wings to more than 40 countries worldwide and established itself as a regional player.
F&N was looking for cloud migration and complete transformation for business agility & cost benefits. They were looking to migrate their 50 on-premise applications and creating a plan to shut down their data centres by FY 2015. Business requirements included cloud advisory services, migration planning and short migration timeframe.
BlazeClan conducted an exhaustive study of the existing system and charted out a roadmap to migrate and deploy their applications to the cloud. This cloud migration roadmap – described and defined the approach adopted for migrating applications and infrastructure on AWS and included the following steps:
- Analysis of the gaps between the current state and desired future state of infrastructure on the cloud.
- Identify, prioritise and aggregate cloud readiness of applications.
- Define move groups for applications to be migrated.
- Define and configure network connectivity from AWS to on-premise infrastructure.
- P2V & V2V of on-premises instances, import to AWS.
- Testing of VPN connectivity and applications on AWS.
The team of certified SAs executed the migration plan in three phases:
- Infrastructure discovery: this phase included architecting the environment and applying network level configurations, defining security groups, evaluating infrastructure gaps and providing recommendations.
- Application discovery: the number of applications was identified for migration in this phase. These applications were majorly off the shelf products and were managed and maintained by third parties. Cloud readiness for these applications was evaluated and then appropriate changes were made to make them cloud ready.
- Process discovery: in this phase, various monitoring tools like New-Relic, CloudWatch were implemented for application and infrastructure monitoring on a dynamic environment. The mechanism was put in place for integrating and tracking requests and issues.
- High availability: Successful deployment of these applications resulted in making them highly available in nature.
- Scalability: The Company achieved the ability to scale the application as and when required along with granular level control of the environment.
- Cost savings: Successful migration of its data centre by BlazeClan helped F&N close its data centres in 2015, thereby saving up to 30% on existing IT operations cost.
BlazeClan availed a number of AWS services to execute this project successfully.
- Amazon EC2 was used for compute capacity management for their application deployment. It helped in reducing the time required to spin up new server instances to minutes, allowing them to quickly scale capacity, both up and down, as per their requirement.
- Amazon S3 was used to store and retrieve any amount of data from anywhere and everywhere.
- Amazon VPC helped in setting up the private network with AWS as it provided isolation and security.
- Amazon CloudFront integrated with other services accelerated the delivery of the content to the users in minimum time.
- Amazon DynamoDB provided a fast and predictable performance with seamless scalability.