Cloud computing is a network of servers hosted to manage, store, and process data remotely. The firms that provide cloud computing as a service are called cloud providers.
Cloud computing is a dynamic technology gaining momentum across industry verticals. Some reports suggest that it will soon make inroads into most of the industrial domains. The cloud technology is evolving rapidly. It is the right time to discover the technology and what it can offer, and how it can be implemented for your industry processes.
Cloud computing types are divided based on the server deployment model and service.
Based on the server deployment model, it is classified as:
- Community Cloud
Based on the service model, it is classified as:
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Platform as a Service (PaaS)
- Software as a Service (SaaS)
You need to be very cautious before selecting the server deployment model. You need to analyze the kind of data that you hold before making a choice. Let us get into the details.
Server Deployment Model
- Public: Cloud providers host the entire computing infrastructure on their premises. You are free to access the data and computing infrastructure whenever you need.
- Private: The computing infrastructure is hosted on your premises, and is not shared with others. It provides you with better control and security.
- Hybrid: This deployment model depends on your requirements. It is a mix of both public and private deployments. You can host your crucial data and applications using a private cloud, and other data on the public cloud.
- Community: This is an interesting type of model, where a group of companies with a common goal shares the cloud to execute the tasks.
Cloud computing services are called Cloud computing stack as they are built on top of each other.
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
This is one of the most basic models that allow you to rent the computing infrastructure from a cloud provider. It is one of the highly flexible models and provides you with the highest management control. Most of the system admins use this service to manage their infrastructure.
Platform as a Service (PaaS)
This model provides the tools to build and host web applications. The developers need not worry about building infrastructure, managing, storage, and databases. It helps you to be effective, and you can focus more on building cool stuff. This service is extensively used by developers to collaborate with their peers who are distributed geographically to develop applications.
Software as a Service (SaaS)
This model is used to deliver web-based applications. Cloud providers will host and manage your applications. You need not worry about the maintenance and operating system that your application is running on. Your application will appear the same on all the devices. This model is used by several users to access different applications on the web and pay on per use basis.
You have multiple choices and the freedom to choose. The only thing that you must take into account is how it will help you meet your objectives.