The customer is India’s fastest growing entertainment network of iconic brands offering multi-platform, multi – generational and multicultural brand experiences across television, film, digital media and LIVE events.
The company’s digital arm has built a first mobile video platform that includes a social engagement and recommendation engine and offers the biggest TV soaps and movies absolutely free.
Given the nature of the application, the company has leveraged the inherent value of the public cloud and built the application on the AWS infrastructure. With over 28,000 hours of exciting content for audiences with varying choices and preferences, across major regional language, this mobile video on demand platform is completely free.
The customer was looking for a managed services provider who could manage and support this application to the standards demanded by their consumer base along with providing appropriate recommendations and optimising the infrastructure as required.
Being an audited Managed Services provider, BlazeClan team of certified SAs conducted an exhaustive study of the application and defined the processes, procedures, and operational responsibilities in delivering 24/7 services for the application. The team adopted a proactive approach for 24x7x365 monitoring, automation, patching, logging, alerting, and backup management of the customer’s AWS environment.
By embracing agile methodology and DevOps-based strategy, the team ensured resolution to the problems in a very fast and automated manner. The certified SA’s delivered 24/7 support for their application and provided real-time business operational information and automated solutions for capacity and availability management.
- Monitoring of various components of the stack both AWS & Non-AWS namely:
- Akamai for CDN
- Kaltura for Digital Asset Management / Transcoding
- Creating runbooks and workflow to report and solve the various type of tickets including recurring issues and escalating issues for L2, L3 team of each component. For e.g. Checking API failures if an issue persists during the loading of the video and escalating the issue to the L2 team of Kaltura.
- Performing L2 & L3 activities for AWS infrastructure.
- Deployment of monitoring tools for each component. Blazeclan recommended and implemented the following tools:
- AWS CloudWatch – AWS Infrastructure monitoring
- Runscope – All API monitoring between the web/mobile app & Kaltura
- NewRelic for Application monitoring
- High availability: 24/7 monitoring resulted in making the application highly available to their consumer base.
- Scalability: The Company achieved the ability to scale the application as and when required along with granular level control of the environment.
- Agility: Migrating to the cloud helped them gain the agility required to have a competitive edge in their business.
BlazeClan availed a number of AWS services to execute this project successfully.
- Amazon EC2 was used for compute capacity management for their application deployment. It helped in reducing the time required to spin up new server instances to minutes, allowing them to quickly scale capacity, both up and down, as per their requirement.
- Amazon S3 was used to store and retrieve any amount of data from anywhere and everywhere.
- Amazon ELB helped in automatically distributing the incoming application traffic across multiple Amazon EC2 instances.
- AWS CloudWatch was used to monitor the performance of the system.