Fraser & Neave Holdings Bhd (F&NHB) is a Malaysian company listed on Bursa Malaysia’s Main Board with expertise and prominent standing in the food and beverage business. F&NHB is amongst the region’s and Malaysia’s oldest companies and its brand enjoy the rare distinction of being a market leader and household name in many categories. F&NHB operates in Malaysia, Brunei, Thailand and Indochina, and is a subsidiary of Fraser and Neave, Limited, a company listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange. A well-loved brand in Malaysia, today, F&NHB has spread its wings to more than 40 countries worldwide and established itself as a regional player.
After over a decade of operation of traditional data centres, F&N business stakeholders faced a need for a more nimble and cost-effective hosting solution. The decision was made to migrate to the AWS platform, and BlazeClan was selected as the consulting and migration services partner.
F&N was looking for cloud migration and complete transformation for business agility & cost benefits. They were looking for migration of 10+ on-premise applications and creating a plan to shut down one of their data centres by FY 2015. Business requirements included cloud advisory services, migration planning and short migration timeframe.
As part of this engagement, BlazeClan took a discovery-based approach for understanding their infrastructure, network, storage, application and other business processes. It was engaged with F&N and respective teams to identify and map the applications and identify dependencies and criticality to chart a roadmap to migrate all the applications from on-premise to AWS.
The teams worked through the design and implementation challenges that go along with migrating of applications to AWS, devised a migration strategy, and built the infrastructure in the new AWS environment using AWS EC2, Dynamo DB, CloudFront, ELB and S3.
BlazeClan’s team of certified solution architects have successfully migrated the applications from a traditional hosting facility to AWS, decommissioning one of their data centres and providing them with the desired cost benefits. The team of certified SAs executed the migration plan in three phases:
1. Infrastructure discovery: this phase included architecting the environment and applying network level configurations, defining security groups, evaluating infrastructure gaps and providing recommendations.
2. Application discovery: The numbers of applications were identified for migration in this phase. These applications were majorly off the shelf products and were managed and maintained by third parties. Cloud readiness’s for these applications were evaluated and then appropriate changes were made to make them cloud ready.
3. Process discovery: in this phase, various monitoring tools like New-Relic, CloudWatch were implemented for application and infrastructure monitoring in a dynamic environment. The mechanism was put in place for integrating and tracking requests and issues.
- High availability: Successful deployment of these applications resulted in making them highly available in nature.
- Scalability: The Company achieved the ability to scale the application as and when required along with granular level control of the environment.
- Cost savings: Successful migration of its data centre by BlazeClan helped F&N close its data centres in 2015, thereby saving up to 30% on existing IT operations cost.
BlazeClan availed a number of AWS services to execute this project successfully.
- Amazon EC2 was used for computing capacity management for their application deployment. It helped in reducing the time required to spin up new server instances to minutes, allowing them to quickly scale capacity, both up and down, as per their requirement.
- Amazon S3 was used to store and retrieve any amount of data from anywhere and everywhere.
- Amazon VPC helped in setting up the private network with AWS as it provided isolation and security.
- Amazon CloudFront integrated with other services accelerated the delivery of the content to the users in minimum time.
- Amazon DynamoDB provided a fast and predictable performance with seamless scalability.
- AWS Import/Export was used to address the challenges with large data transfers that result in high network costs, long transfer times, and security concerns.