The Company is an integrated telecommunications infrastructure services organisation providing end-to-end solutions in the tower services sector including co-locations, build-to-suit, energy, transmission and operations and maintenance (O&M). With a regional portfolio that includes over 16,000 towers across their home markets of Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Pakistan and Myanmar, the company strives to deliver outstanding performance in telecommunications infrastructure services and solutions.
The company was looking to implement a BI solution on AWS. Since all of the applications of the company was hosted on cloud infrastructure, the transition to the AWS for BI was a natural progression.
They had a remote monitoring system with a black box installed at each site and sensors attached to it.
These sensors were connected to Centralise Server located at AWS. These sensors sent the data to servers through the 3G network. Sensors typically sent the data such as Battery Usage, Battery condition, Power Usage, Temperature data etc. RMS collected approximately 90 such attributes every 15 mins from up to 6000 towers, and the data was expected to grow up to 230 GB in 3 years.
This data was stored in the structured format in RDS that is very costly. Hence they wanted to move to Redshift.
BlazeClan conducted an exhaustive study to understand the current set up and learnt that the company had two major data sources hosted on AWS. This was beneficial as building and deploying company’s Data Warehouse strategy became a simpler and more manageable exercise.
Once the workflow was understood, BlazeClan team of certified SAs-
- Reviewed the current server set up in the AWS
- Provided with a gap report along with recommendations for improvements.
- Set up the AWS infrastructure along with infrastructure for ETL processes and data warehouse.
- Created data marts for finance, operations and site delivery
- Successfully migrated the data from RDS to Redshift with continuous replication.
- Used BI tools like Tableau for visualisation.
- Used Talend for the ETL process.
1. Reduced Cost: the migration from RDS to Redshift helped in decreasing the cost considerably.
2.High Availability: The Company achieved a highly available system that could meet and cater to requests from the business.
3. Scalability: They achieved the ability to scale the application as and when required by leveraging auto-scaling and load balancing features of AWS.
4. Fault Tolerant: They were able to achieve a fault tolerant architecture