About the Company
The customer is a leading food & beverage organization, holding great expertise and prominent standing in the F&B business. They are among the oldest companies and their brand enjoys the rare distinction of being a market leader and household name in many categories.
After over a decade of operations in traditional data centers, the customer’s business stakeholders faced the need for a more nimble and cost-effective hosting solution. The customer had a directive of migrating to the AWS cloud and partnered with Blazeclan for cloud consulting and migration.
The customer was looking for cloud migration and complete transformation for business agility & cost benefits. Over 10+ on-premise applications needed to be migrated and a plan was required for shutting down one of their data centers by FY 2015. Business requirements included cloud advisory services, migration planning, and short migration timeframe.
As part of this engagement, Blazeclan took a discovery-based approach for understanding the customer’s infrastructure, network, storage, application, and other business processes. Respective teams identified and mapped the applications, dependencies, and criticality to chart a plan for migrating all their applications from on-premise to AWS cloud.
The team worked through the design and implementation challenges that go along with migrating applications to AWS, devised a migration strategy, and built the infrastructure in the new AWS environment using AWS EC2, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon CloudFront, AWS ELB, and Amazon S3.
Blazeclan’s team of certified solution architects have successfully migrated the customer’s applications from a traditional hosting facility to AWS, decommissioning one of their data centers, and providing them the desired cost benefits. The team of certified SAs executed the migration plan in three phases:
- Infrastructure Discovery: This phase included architecting the environment and applying network level configurations, defining security groups, evaluating infrastructure gaps and providing recommendations.
- Application Discovery: The numbers of applications were identified for migration in this phase. These applications were majorly off the shelf products and were managed and maintained by third parties. Cloud-readiness for these applications was evaluated and then appropriate changes were made.
- Process Discovery: In this phase, various monitoring tools like New-Relic, CloudWatch, etc. were implemented for application and infrastructure monitoring on a dynamic environment. The mechanism was put in place for integrating and tracking requests and issues.
- High Availability: Successful deployment of the applications on the cloud resulted in making them highly available in nature.
- Scalability: The customer achieved the ability to scale their applications as and when required along with granular-level control of the environment.
- Cost savings: Successful migration of the data center helped the customer close their traditional data center in 2015, thereby saving up to 30% on existing IT operations cost.
|Amazon EC2||Amazon CloudFront||Amazon S3|
|Amazon VPC||Amazon DynamoDB||AWS Import/Export|